Are you living in chaos?
That’s me tearing my hair out at my completely chaotic, messy, ‘can’t bloody find anything’ life!
I need something to blame it on.
Let me explain something to you. I used to be really good at this stuff. REALLY GOOD!
Ok, I was never overly tidy, but I was pretty organised and could manage my work and life.
So what’s changed?
Well, I now have two little mini terrorists running amok in my life (plus one big one!). Whilst they do make me laugh, fill me with joy and are the loves of my life, they come with a lot of stress and mess!
But I can’t blame them. The real reason is a lack of routines and systems. Now, it’s not that I haven’t tried. Previously I’ve crash tested:
- My daily and weekly cleaning routines
- A morning routine that gets us out the door on time
- How to sort out all the family paperwork and bills
- Getting sorted with technology: Evernote
plus one routine we’re actually really good at
But you know when you just don’t keep things up and you end up in chaos again? Yeah, well that!
So, I’m going to revisit some of these crash tests, but I thought I’d do what I do well and ask Google.
I found the Australian Parenting website raising children network
Apparently the solution I’m looking for is called “Family Management”. I showed Crash Hubby and his reaction was,
What?!?!? So there is a manual for it! Four and a half years in and we’re only finding this now?!
According to the raising children network family management is:
- working well together
- sharing jobs
- routines and rituals
- managing finances
Hang on! That sounds a lot like running a company. I had to laugh when I made the correlation between the two.
Think about it:
Family missions and values >> Company mission statements, visions and values
Family communications and meetings >> Regular team meetings
Family jobs and responsibilities >> Job descriptions
Routines and rituals >> Systems and processes, company social events, team morale
Managing family finances >> Financial planning, control and budgets
If I was the head of a company
- there is no way I’d be letting two loose cannons like the CrashKids create havoc the way they do here at home!
- there is no way I’d let myself focus on one area of my responsibilities and let others deteriorate
- there is no way I’d hide my head in sand when it comes to finances until we actually ran out of money!
I’m such an idiot!
But to be fair I’m an emotional, tired mum trying to do too much without putting the appropriate systems in place to support me. Luckily I have CrashHubby onside and he sees what we need to do to reverse the chaos!
It will be a team effort!
What am I going to do about this?
Well, a crash test of course!
Over the next week (it’s going to be busy!), I’m going to re-visit some of the systems I’ve tried before, review them and improve them and also look for some new inspiration and ideas. My crash testing will help me to set up the following:
- A family manifesto to support our parenting and how we live our lives (I’m currently doing a 12 week course with Parent Wellbeing and this is well overdue!)
- A weekly, monthly and seasonal/yearly family schedule with the appropriate routines outlined to support our lives – home, social, work, and the kids.
- A family administration system to process all the ‘stuff’ we need to do including bills, shopping lists, kindergarten/activity forms etc
- An online admin system to process my email and ‘to do’ lists which will help facilitate my work tasks
- A family budget and monitoring system because I don’t want to run out of money again!
Looks like I’m in for a crazy busy week doesn’t it? Well, fortunately I’ve started some of these things already and for others I’ll be revising what I’ve tried before.
However, here’s where you come in.
I would love some help and inspiration. If you are already awesome at any of these things, please let me know in the comments. I am happy for you to leave links to tools/apps/systems you’ve used before, if you’re a blogger leave a link to your blog post.
Not only will it help me, but anyone else who ends up here looking for help with family management.
I’ll be back next Tuesday with my results.
Are you like me and living in chaos? Or are you a management guru when it comes to your family?
UPDATE: Test Results are in – How to sort your life out with Google Calendar, HomeRoutines app, zendone and more
I’ve actually been a bit run down lately and have realised I need to slow down. I’ve made the decision to only blog here at Crash Test Mummy once a week. I think it’s a good thing, because I can focus on solving one area of my life at a time and come up with some really great crash tests and results for us all. I’ll be micro-blogging over on my Facebook Page and doing Condition Report vlogs on YouTube. The best way you can stay in touch with what I’m up to is via my once a week email update.
You can also use your same email address to register as a member of the Crash Test Community at www.crashtestmummies.com where you can:
- opt in to be on a Crash Test Panel to try and review products from the brands I work with
- get free access to a members only section with member only giveaways, deals and discounts
- get free access to member only resources like recipes and detailed tutorials (coming soon)
(click to register)