I really love making birthday cakes for the kids. I tend to go over the top a bit as you can see from the Miffy cake and the Hungry Caterpillar cake. However my last cake did not follow in the same grand design!
CrashGirl’s third birthday was the week we moved into our house. The place was diabolical. Boxes everywhere, mostly unpacked. We have a park nearby, so a venue wasn’t a problem. The problem was how to make the cake. CrashGirl wanted a ‘rainbow cake’. Didn’t sound too difficult, except I couldn’t find:
- a cake tin
- something that looked vaguely like a cake tin
- the beaters for our electric hand mixer
- my piping bag
- my trusty gel food colours
The worst thing was I made this ‘discovery’ the morning of the party!
How to make a number 3 cake in a hurry!
I sent CrashHubby on an emergency run to buy:
- two sponge cakes
- whipped cream in a can
- frosting in a can
This cake literally took less than 30 minutes to ‘whip’ up so to speak! All I needed was a knife and a board (in this case a lovely Rimu tea tray we got as a wedding present!)
- I cut a small section off one side of each of the sponges
- I then sliced them through and filled each with whipped cream and strawberries
- With the cut sections facing each other I ‘glued’ them together with cream, lining them up one above the other on a board (so they looked like a snowman I guess)
- Then I iced it with the frosting in a can and smoothed it over.
- Using the m&ms I created rainbow lines in the shape of a three.
- I also lined the outside edges with m&ms to cover up my dodgy ‘frosting in a can’ skills.
Ta da! Done in under 30 minutes, no baking, no beating, no making frosting and no difficult shaping. I really like how there is minimal cake wastage (and just how easy it was!). You’ll have to excuse the wonky candle placement and the hole in the frosting near the bottom. CrashHubby put 4 candles in his daughter’s number 3 birthday cake! The gold coins are for the ‘pot of gold’ at the end of the rainbow.
See – she got her rainbow cake after all! And it was delicious!
Have you made a cake in hurry?