Brought to you by . . .
Crash Test Mummy’s
Guide to Everything
Exhausted, the Desperate
& the Downright Distracted
. . . with thanks to contributions from the Crash Test Community
Your MIL/Mother/Gran/New friend has called to say they are in the area and will pop in to visit. They’ll be there in 20 minutes. The house is a bombsite. Maybe you don’t care. Maybe you do. If the thought of this situation sends you into a mild panic, never fear. We are not all perfect little housewives. We are however, clever and resourceful.
We cheat ;)
Here’s what you do:
- Close the doors to all the bedrooms. Lock them if you can!
- Grab a laundry basket and run around picking up all the random objects from the floor, put it on your bedroom and close the door.
- Stash dirty dishes in oven (but don’t forget they are there!)
- Bolt the door closed to the laundry. Enough said.
- Clear the table or desk by swiping all your paperwork into something with a lid (toy box, fruit box, nappy box). Now it will magically look like a toy box/fruit box/nappy box.
- Scatter the kids blocks and toys on the floor so it disguises other mess
- Use scented candles or a plug-in oil diffuser to mask stinky smells
- Stack or do the dishes and put wet gloves on top so it looks like you were just doing your domestic round when your visitors arrived
- Put vacuum cleaner in hallway and say you were “just about to vacuum”
- Sweep the front step and spray lemon pledge near the door so it smells like you’ve been cleaning
There are some areas where you just can’t cheat, so just suck it up and clean. You can guarantee that if you don’t clean the bathroom your visitors will want to use it!
- Quickly clean surfaces with handy bathroom wipes and glass wipes for the mirror.
- Scrub the loo and check the floor for any ‘puddles’ ;)
- Make sure the table is clean so you can direct visitors to the table for coffee and hopefully avoid the rest!
Do you have any more cheat tips for the exhausted, the desperate and the downright distracted among us?